Saturday, January 22, 2011

"Angel Kin" an old/new song that changed my life.

Picture courtesy of Grzegorz Pecold
This song is and always will be dedicated to my grandfather Martin Spreen.  I just got a copy of it after quite a few years. It's called "Angel Kin". I recorded it 11 years ago today (we started late on Jan. 21 and ended early in the morning on Jan. 22) after my Grandfather's funeral.  It was a day I'll never forget and a day that changed my life forever....

Click here to listen or visit my website www.kevinkorol.com

  I was in the studio recording this song in Selkirk with a friend Don Rivais (cool guitar player).  I wrote the song over the previous week and went in to record it. A couple of friends of mine, Big J Jablonski (singer from Bad House Highway) and Julian Gentle, (another crazy guitar player) heard what was happening and decided to stop in to hang out with a case of beer.  All three ended up doing some recording on the song (the stomp and clap at the end).  We left and I got pulled over after I had 4 beers in the 5 hours I was there.  I got pulled over over by the police and they gave my a DUI.  The officers and my lawyer (who must have been so happy to get a call and 3:30 am from me) both said that I didn't seem drunk, but the breathalyzer said I was over and well....that's the law.  I didn't have a license for 3 years after that.
Now I know that doesn't sound like a great story but at the time of the incident, I was having a rough time personally and really needed a change.  The DUI gave me that.  Since I was living in Selkirk and working in Winnipeg at the time, I had to move.  This gave my a chance to get away from everything that was going on in my life and kind of start new.  I had a real chance to re-discover who I really was.  Without going into all the details, I can tell you that it turned out to be one of the best things that ever happened to me.  It kind of set me free in a lot ways.....

So Grandpa, as your life ended...I got a new start to mine.  Those were some tough times for me and I may not have realized it at the then, but I sure as hell do now. Everything that I have gained in the past 11 years ( love, children, friends, university, and becoming a better man) is because of that day......I am eternally grateful....I know you are always with me......

"Until we meet again, you will be within"

2 comments:

  1. R.I.P. TO YOUR G.F............ I LOVE YOUR MUSIC MAKE ME A CD SO I CAN LISTEN TO IT WHENEVER I WANT TO WHEREVER! EVERY SONG YOU MADE IS JUST BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!! E-MAN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks E! Miss you wise man!.... Kev

      Delete